Our Top Five Favorite Helmets
Finding the right riding helmet can be a bit more complicated than picking out a pair of breeches. There are many elements to consider— safety and comfort being at the top of the list. With so many helmet options on the market for horseback riders, it can feel a bit overwhelming, especially if you don’t know exactly what you are looking for.
When it comes to selecting a helmet, here are the key things to consider before heading to the tack shop or shopping online.
- Discipline: The discipline you ride may have some regulations on the type or style of helmet you use.
- Safety: Always purchase a helmet that is certified to ASTM/SEI standards or higher.
- Color: Again, consult the regulations for any events or horse shows you plan on participating in to ensure you have a show legal helmet.
- Fit: Measure your head and consult a helmet fitting specialist if you are unsure of your helmet size. A poorly fitting helmet can be very dangerous.
- Durability: Helmets should be disposed of after any fall where the helmet hit something. But, you still want your helmet to hold up to daily or frequent riding without showing wear.
With those elements in mind, here are our favorite horseback riding helmets.
Best Showing Helmet - Charles Owen AYR8 Plus Helmet
A true “Cadillac” of a horseback riding helmet. The Charles Owen AYR8 Plus helmet has a beautiful classic look with the latest in safety features, making it a perfect all-around helmet in the show ring or for lessons. The washable drape headband makes it easy to keep clean, while the front and rear ventilation slots keep your head cool. The leather-look harness is very comfortable for long rides.
Best Multi-Purpose Helmet - Mountain Horse Aero Pro Helmet
The Mountain Horse Aero Pro helmet is a bit more budget-friendly compared to Charles Owens helmets. This helmet has large vents, a chrome brim accent, and contrast piping. The easy-adjust dial in the back is designed for a snug fit and features extra-strong adjustment teeth to extend the life of the helmet.
Best Jumping Helmet - One K Defender Chrome Stripe Helmet
The One K Defender Chrome Stripe Helmet features matte Polycarbonate and Advanced ABS Composite outer shell; injection molded shell design; washable quick-dry, and moisture-wicking anti-microbial liner. This elegant helOne K helmets boast the perfect synergy between advanced safety technology and beautiful design. This helmet comes in round and oval styles.
Best Schooling Helmet - Ovation Deluxe Schooler Helmet
If you are looking for a safe, budget-conscious riding helmet, the Ovation Deluxe Schooler should be on your list. This lightweight, low-profile helmet features a rubberized finish for easy cleaning and an easy-adjust dial for a snug fit. The high-flow vents will help keep you cool during hot summer rides.
Best Western Helmet - Troxel Cheyenne Helmet
Finding a stylish western helmet is a bit of a challenge. Troxel has created the epitome of western riding with this comfortable, durable, and stylish helmet. The rugged handcrafted leather cover has beautiful intricate stitching to show your true western style. The removable washable headliner and mesh-covered vents allow for easy cleaning while keeping you cool.